February Blog

February Hours: 18
Total Hours: 18

What a hectic month this was! With classes, volunteering, and exams to start and end February, there was a lot packed into the shortest month of the year- not to mention my first Mardi Gras ever. This month we did the neuro and psych modules, with our psych exam taking place right after we finish spring break. After that comes the shelf exam and from then on its smooth sailing to the end of the year. It's crazy to think that one month from today we will be done with all of our core classes and only have electives to finish.

This month I did two volunteering activities- I volunteered at the Rock n Roll marathon in the medical tent and volunteered to judge the junior division of the GNOSEF science fair.

At the marathon, my friends and I were stationed in the main medical tent where we helped doctors treat runners that had severe injuries or health complications from the marathon. Most of what we saw was severe dehydration or hyperthermia- usually together which resulted in the runners unable to even walk due to extreme cramping or nausea/dizziness. We helped physicians examine these patients, assisted with whatever setup was needed, and acted as scribes. Most of the runners were ok after some rest and oral or IV rehydration. I thought it was really cool to see how everything was set up and organized for a pop up medical tent. Every person on the team was a volunteer and with some instruction from a couple program coordinators, everything went smoothly and without any major problems even though almost no one had met each other prior to that day.

For the science fair, I helped do safety judging before the fair and judged the Physics and Astronomy division for the actual fair. During the safety judging period, all the students participating were required to set up their displays and make sure everything was up to safety standards. I walked around and signed off participants after I examined their projects to make sure they followed the (very large) list of rules and restrictions. The next day was the actual fair and I got to see the ~15 projects in the Physics and Astronomy division. The students presented their projects to judges one on one with each student being able to present to at least three judges. Afterwards, my fellow physics judges and I conferred to award the first, second, and third place prizes. The top two projects of every division went on to the state level competition. The projects I saw in the fair were very impressive- far more robust than I would expect from middle schoolers. It was really fun and rewarding talking to them and seeing how passionate they were about science. We were given enough time for me to be able to chat with each student after they presented their projects to me and I loved talking to them about their inspirations and their hopes for the future.

Next month could be a rough one- the biggest exam of the program is coming up and while it is intimidating, I feel like I am up to the challenge and plan on securing another A for this semester.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Post

NOLA on Tap

March Blog